Friday, October 9, 2015

Histology Reflection

Its interesting. Before this histology course, I was not sure what I was looking at when I looked at histology pictures online. I knew a few things here & there, but always doubted if I was correct. Now, after only a few Histology labs I understand what I am looking at. I am also more confident when I describe the structures I see through the lense of the microscope.  I am not saying that I can correctly  identify every structure in every slide that comes my way. What I am saying is, the practice of looking through the microscope at a variety of tissue samples has trained me to recognize patterns, similar structures, key differences, and other hints I can use to better understand what I am looking at.

I have enjoyed the Histology lab a lot more than I thought I would. Mostly, I was expecting the lab to be similar to the Plant Diversity lab I had experienced. A lab full of interesting things to look at and try to  draw......with not near enough time to see all of them in.  The perfect recipe for frustration. However this lab has far fewer samples required too look at per lab  session, and I have switched from drawing to taking photos of what I see through the microscope.  This provides me with the time to really look at each sample. To enjoy their beauty, appriciate their complexity, see the small details, ask questions & think of answers to those questions. I learn so much more this way, and I have time to enjoy the learning experience.

I am excited to gain more histology skills, so that I can incorporate them into my understanding of biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment